Friday 18 October 2013

Halloween Series - Sugar Skull

Halloween is just around the corner! And it's at this time of year that I wish I lived in America. Seriously, those guys know how to celebrate it! I love nosing through pinterest at all the awesome Halloween costume & party food ideas which always seem to be pinned by someone in the States. Here in the UK we really don't seem to bother with Halloween any more, I don't even get any trick or treaters :( But in my house we still go all out! My little boy always dresses up (he's a werewolf this year) and the dog normally dresses up too...much to her dismay. I love decorating the house with spooky bits and pieces but what I love most is all the Halloween makeup ideas. So, I decided to try my hand at a few of my favourites and give my own take on them. Over the next week or so, I'll be posting a few different makeup looks with step by step guides and today it's all about the Mexican Sugar Skull.



 
I'm sure you've seen Sugar Skull photos all over the internet, it's the perfect look for Halloween because there's so many different variations. I wanted to make mine quite girly with pinks, purples and a bit of glitter.
 
(Would just like to apologise in advance for the pink dressing gown in most of the photos!)

 
 
 

First, I applied a foundation much lighter than my skin tone and also mixed it with a white creamy face paint to make it even lighter.
 
I then used a thick black eyeliner pencil to draw on the eye sockets and the nose, then coloured them in.




Using the same black eyeliner, I then started adding more detail, including a cobweb with an upside down heart and a design on my chin. I know I messed up the cobweb :( it was hard to get it neat! I also drew the scalloped design around my eyes and coloured them in using a purple NYX jumbo pencil. I coloured the other designs in and then used a pink eyeshadow to add shading to the cobweb and also to contour.
 
I used the creamy white face paint to add highlights to my eyes and nose, then used a bronze liquid glitter liner to draw on some swirls and colour in the heart.

 
 
I decided to add 2 teardrops on my forehead and also lined my waterline with the purple liner.
 
To finish the look, I applied a bright pink lipstick then used a liquid eyeliner to add the smile lines and stitching effect.
 
 And there you have it :) I'm going to be posting a Poison Ivy look in the next couple of days so keep an eye out for that and if you have any requests then let me know in the comments!

8 comments:

  1. omg this is amazing!!!! :) just letting you know I have nominated you with the Versatile Blogger Award on my blog at www.beckysbeautique.co.uk

    Becky xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow looks awesome :-) x I love the lip colour also x
    Sophie
    X
    www.sophiejenner.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophie :) it's YSL rouge Volupte lippy in Opera Rose x

      Delete
  3. Brilliant! I love sugar skulls and you have done a great job here :)

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS